Friday, June 24, 2016

ALA Annual in Orlando

I am in Orlando after flying out of Sioux Falls at 5:00 this morning. I'll try to add an update of what is going on in Council each day. I am also going to expand my repertoire and actually tweet on occasion. I have a feed on the right side of the blog.

Council has not yet met but the opening session was wonderful. Michael Eric Dyson was the speaker at this session. Mr. Dyson was recommended by the ALA Task Force on Equity, Diversity. Dyson is a professor at Georgetown University and a well known author and speaker on many of today's burning issues. Diversity and inclusion were themes of this conference even before the shootings here in Orlando but I have to say that I am finding these themes even more powerful at this time in this location. I know that I'm preaching to the choir, but let's make sure that our South Dakota libraries are safe places for all the people in our communities!

Look for more tomorrow after the Council really starts to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment